(Fast forward: imagine sands slipping in an hour glass or pages furiously turning on a calendar a' la cheesy B movie....)
OKAY...so we WERE in London and....anyway, some pictures of Peterborough. First, exteriors of the amazing west front:




Exteriors:


A few looking up the nave:


And towards the west end:


The transept:

Looking up:


The ceiling:

This crucifix is of recent vintage, but very fitting and striking:

Here's some of the amazing fan vaulting:

Sad, abandonned Catherine of Aragon is buried here:

An exterior door, Norman all the way:

Here's the Hedda stone, an remnant of anciemt Anglo-Saxon stone carving:

Aside from the cathedral, Peterborough is not much to see. Everything else has a run-down, tatty, dirty edge to it - not a place wherein one would want to be stranded at the bus station, for example, which later I was - until you find the beautiful Neme River, which is crowded with swans, dripping with weeping willows along broad windy walks and manicured green fields - just suddenly, amazingly lovely! Walk down by the river side, and the grungy, oily feeling of the streets abruptly stops; the air actually seemed to lighten, freshen, become dynamic - and not the least because of all the swans! So incongruous, all that elegance floating through gritty Peterborough -like shimmery blue and white satin ribboning through brown polyester.





For once, I actually had some food to give the poor, gorgeous creatures , and two different sets of mother swans with cygnets approached, one with two, and one with three, the latter almost fully grown but still very gray.









Fantastic!
Anyway, I did eventually get back to Cambridge...several hours late.
I realize this blog is long in coming - and I still have a few more blogs from England, including Carter and Lanaux Go Punting, Last Day Frenzy, Curse of the Duty Free Store...so check back in in a few days...!
1 comment:
The birds are beautiful, i bet you miss England alot. I hope that you get to go back soon
Post a Comment