Monday, 7 July 2008

The best brain candy EVER!


I got to Cambridge on Saturday night after a long day of travel (Brussels to Amsterdam; Amsterdam to London; London to Cambridge) and spent Sunday getting acclimated to our living arrangements, shopping for groceries, doing laundry, and watching the Wimbledon finals (!wow!) at our favorite pub here, the Champion of the Thames. I just didn't have time to read the paper. But today...well, today I did, and basically, aided by on-again, off-again downpours which were a strong disincentive to leaving shelter, that's all I did all day long. Oh my, oh my, the Sunday Times! With no less than 4 inserted magazines on everything from Culture to Style to Travel, as well as meaty pages in all the regular sections, it's just my favorite indulgence and is the reason I rarely if ever get anything done of a Sunday when I'm here. Not only is the writing lively and often flat out hilarious, but the range of topics, the sweep of it, just amazes. Just full of all manner of info, from the tiny to the immense. And there is always more. You can't finish it in one Sunday (well, I can't). And the daily papers are great, too. I am taking a vow to only read the weekend papers, because elsewise I will get nothing - nothing at all - done!
While I loved being in Holland and Belgium, I missed the English papers. I found out the hard way that they really COST you on the mainland. 3.60 Euros - more than $5.00 - for a daily Telegraph! YIKES! I coveted that paper, read it from end to end, hung on to it for days like a bag lady until it was tattered...by which time I was going back to England. Phew!

No comments: