Wednesday, 9 July 2008

Holland...The Second Time!

When we Cooke girls went to Holland two years ago, we didn't have time to visit our second residence in The Hague, which was actually in the suburbs outside the city in Wassenaar. Train travel is super-easy in Holland, and no distance is too...distant, so this time I was determined to find and take pictures of "our old stomping grounds" from what our family calls Holland the Second Time. The Hague is about 40 minutes by train, and from there I figured I'd be safe taking any bus that said "Wassenaar" , because in my memory, Wassenaar was the smallish neighborhood we lived in. Wrong again, home girl: Wassenaar is HUGE, with several different areas, all of which looked sort of familiar. Have I mentioned that the Dutch are an exceptionally helpful lot? The nice bus driver called in and had someone locate Van Bommelaan, our street, on the map, and then directed me to the bus I was SUPPOSED to be on (who knew there would be multiple buses to Wassenaar?) and also to the correct stop. I wrote it all down so that we would be able to find it again.

When I got off the bus, I was on a faceless, houseless highway. Happily, I saw signs of community acroos the road, and once I got there, found a helpful map, with the "You are here" icon showing me that I was up the block from Van Bommelaan. A short walk, and there it was:
Walking down the street, it was all suddenly so familiar. And sooooooo beautiful!




No comments: