Monday, 21 July 2008

The Consolation of Gastronomy, with apologies to Boethius

And then it was time to get back to England and my sweetie.
I paid for my wonderful idylls on the continent with a very tedious day of travel travel travel. The only consolation of the day was (drum roll please) the best uitsmijter (sp?) EVER! Yes, before I took that unhappy trip to Schiphol Airport, L and I went to a local lunchery (if it ain't a word, it should be!) in the 'hood and channeled Dad:



OMIGOD! I don't need to use words - the pictures say it all. L and I were quite certain that we wouldn't be able to eat the whole thing...I mean, THREE eggs? PILES of rare delectable roast beef? Thick slices of very substantial, very buttery bread? (Okay, maybe I do need to use words...) This was several day's worth of nutrition....

Well, Dad would have been proud. All gone! (Okay, so I left a bit of the bread - but I got all the good stuff!)
So, as we bid a fond - but not permanent - farewell to Holland and Belgium, a few last pictures:

K at his door:



K and L's living room - with topiary!


Why I Love Holland # 567: Cool names!


In case you can't read that, it's Knopenwinkel!

The beautiful Grand Place:



Look closely for the beautiful Grande Place chat:


The dining room at Aux Armes, appropriately in sepia:

No comments: