Tuesday, 8 July 2008

Amsterdam Daze # 3

Rule # 3: Forget about eating healthily! The Dutch believe in butter, cheese, frying, sugar, potatoes, frying, bacon, eggs, Indonesian treats, frying......so let go for a few days and indulge the local fare.

Such as Bitterballen!


Notice....I reminded myself to take the picture right before I had scarfed down the last one!

For those of you who don't know what these delectable fried balls are....don't ask! Delicious, that's what they are!

2 comments:

Anna said...

OK, Lanaux, I know a dare when I see one.

WHAT, exactly, is in a "bitterballen"? It looks like a hushpuppy, to this good Southern girl.

Lanaux said...

If I tell you, you may never eat one! No, not really. But the truth is, I am not sure WHAT is in a bitterballen - it's like a farci (look it up) of very tasty, very thick mush that I think may have chicken in it. Or turkey. Or some other meat-like substance, in, like, gravy. Uh, that so doesn't do it justice......Actually, we Cookes (that's my pre-Carter surname) may just love 'em because they remind us of when we first moved to Holland....but I swear, they are delish. Not bitter at all.