Monday, 21 July 2008

For a change, Carter is teaching...and I'm not!

Carter and I were lucky enough to spend the summer here at Christ's College two years ago - and doubly lucky to be able to do it again! Actually, it ain't luck - it's Carter's skill and inventiveness in designing winning courses for the William and Mary Summer in Cambridge program. Here's how it works: Interested professors submit course proposals to the study abroad powers-that-be, who in turn select the best (read: potentially most popular among students) of the lot. Once selected, three professors from the College teach two classes each to a group of around forty students. The students each take two classes for a total of six credits. Classes run Monday through Thursday for five weeks. On most weekends, there are planned trips to places pertinent to the courses being offered; one weekend is free so that students can travel on their own. William and Mary has been working this program with the fine folks here at Christ's College for many years, with great success.
Carter's classes this year are Shakespeare in Love, which explores both the texts and the performance aspects relevant to that film (as Carter explains it, he teaches what you need to know to get all the jokes and references in the movie), and a course on Marlowe, who was a student at Corpus Christi College here in Cambridge back in the day, as the parlance goes (that would be the around five centuries back!).

No matter how you slice it, it's a great opportunity to spend as much time as possible in England, which we are always scheming to do...

Future entries will have more pics and info about Cambridge, but for now, here's a shot out our window:


Milton went to Christ's College; his namesake is the most brilliant creature around here: Milton the cat!

This gorgeous creature is king of all he surveys, and, unlike the rest of us, allowed to walk on the (perfect) grass. Of course, being innately regal, he chooses not to.






Occasionally, he will grant a mere transient mortal a brief audience:

Carter us quite besotted with him, as you can see...

This picture almost catches the Elizabeth Taylor-esque violet-blue of his eyes:


He never lingers for long. He has things to do. He has territory to oversee. He has other minions who demand of his time. It's lonely at the top....but still, doubtless, good to be king.



Next up: Our first weekend trip.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hhmm.. lots of problems with google identification today.. anyone else?

Anonymous said...

okay.. that posted.. like Gin, I had to re register from scratch..
So.. what lovely surroundings, what a beautiful cat.. what a cute Carter..

Kenneth said...

Re-registering sucks. What a pain in the you-know-what.

The first thing to try is clearing the google and blogger cookies. In Firefox, it's Tools->Options->Privacy->Show cookies. Find blogger.com, click it, and then click the Remove Cookie button. The same for google.com. Close the browser window and then open up the blog again. Try to login, using the link in the upper-right corner of the blog.

The upper right corner usually lists the email address or id you are using and has "log out" link.

eugejo said...

Ken, you're blowing my mind with those instructions! (I've had to reregister every time I post comments...ridiculous.) Love the cat, and the more recent shots of the market and the collegiate digs. Whaaaaah! I want to be in Cambridge cooking soup on a hotplate.

Anonymous said...

I've only had to re register once so far.. gee, Gin.. you have to do it every time? Ken, I'm SO hoping I don't have to resort to the whole "removal of cookies" thing...

Unknown said...

I forgot to add the "@msn.com" after my name and I was denied. But after I typed in my whole email it was ok. Maybe that is it? You have to make sure to type in your full email address under user name.